Sunday 17 February 2013

Unleashed by Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie (Wolf Springs Chronicles)

Title - Unleashed 
Author - Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie
Publisher - Corgi
Genre - Teen, Fantasy, Paranormal
Source - Own, Paperback
Synopsis - Katelyn McBride’s life changed in an instant when her mother died. Uprooted from her California home, Katelyn was shipped to the middle of nowhere, Arkansas, to her only living relative, her grandfather. And now she has to start over in Wolf Springs, a tiny village in the Ozark Mountains. Like any small town, Wolf Springs has secrets. But the secrets hidden here are more sinister than Katelyn could ever imagine. It’s a town with a history that reaches back centuries, spans continents, and conceals terrifying truths. And Katelyn McBride is about to change everything.

Broken families, ageless grudges, forced alliances, and love that blooms in the darkest night—welcome to Wolf Springs.


So if there's a book in the Young Adult section of a bookstore and it's got Wolves in  it... 95% of the time I will buy it. Without doing any research on it. That's why I like Amazon. There's always at least one review on Amazon that's off-putting and you end up saving money. And there's also the fact that Amazon is cheaper. 

I bought this book months and months ago. I don't even really remember when, and it's taken me months to read it. So I think it's save to say that I didn't think this book was the next best-must-have-read. 

It took the book a long to time to really start getting interesting. In fact I think it was after two -thirds of the way through that the pace really picked up. 

As for the characters they really annoyed me a lot at times and especially in the beginning. I wanted to like the main character Katelyn, especially since her mother had just died but I found it really hard. As for Cordelia, well her name just sounds manipulative and looks after number one. (Buffy, early season's.)

I didn't hate the book, I didn't like the book. At times the story was confusing. Katelyn's actions were just downright weird and I don't know if that's going to be explained later on in the series but I don't really think the authors did a good job of really giving us clues. 

I liked the ending, even with the cliff hanger. But will I be buying the next book in the series? Maybe. The only way I'd buy the rest of this series, is if the books go on sale. A big reduction sale.
I just think the authors didn't really do a good job for most of the book and it wasn't very engaging. 

2 out of 5

Image and Synopsis via Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment