Tuesday 30 April 2013

True by Erin McCarthy

Title - True
Author - Erin McCarthy
Genre - New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
UK Release Date - May 7th 2013
Source - NetGalley
Synopsis When Rory Macintosh’s roommates find out that their studious and shy friend has never been with a guy, they decide that, as an act of kindness they’ll help her lose her virginity by hiring confident, tattooed bad boy Tyler Mann to do the job…unbeknownst to Rory.

Tyler knows he’s not good enough for Rory. She’s smart, doctor smart, while he’s barely scraping by at his EMT program, hoping to pull his younger brothers out of the hell their druggy mother has left them in. But he can’t resist taking up her roommates on an opportunity to get to know her better. There’s something about her honesty that keeps him coming back when he knows he shouldn’t…

Torn between common sense and desire, the two find themselves caught up in a passionate relationship. But when Tyler’s broken family threatens to destroy his future, and hers, Rory will need to decide whether to cut her ties to his risky world or follow her heart, no matter what the cost…


New adult books are starting to annoy me. It feels like authors are simply changing the age of characters, giving them a few unhealthy habits and wallah we got ourselves a New Adult book.

I especially hate how a tattoo equals a bad boy. Why can't a bad boy actually be a bad boy? I'm always incredibly disappointed. It seems all the supposed bad boys on the synopsis actually turn out to be really sensitive guys.

True wasn't anything wow. It didn't blow my mind. Full of cliches, predictable, annoying characters. I didn't hate or particularly love any character in this book.

I think for me it's gotten to that stage where all New Adult books are starting to become repetitive. I want something fresh.

I want a book where a guy acts like a guy, I want the girl to be able to think for herself. I want the characters to stay true to themselves. I want something that's going to grab me from the first word and not let go until the ending.

If you're new to the New Adult genre, I'd say give this a go. It won't hurt. But if you've read a few New Adult books already and are starting to notice the similarities... read at your own risk.

3/5

Image and Synopsis via Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment