Monday 20 May 2013

Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer #3 Elemental Series

Title - Spirit #3 in the Elemental Series
Author - Brigid Kemmerer
Genre - Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal
Publisher - Kensington
UK Release Date - 1st July 2013
Source - NetGalley
Synopsis - With power comes enemies. Lots of them.

Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He’s learnt the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can’t seem to afford any allies.

He’s up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.

Then there’s Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She’s not hostile. She’s bold. Funny. Hot. But she’s got an agenda, too.

With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down. But finding out what means he’ll have to find someone he can trust…

Spirit is the third book in the Elemental Series and if I'm truthfully honest I wasn't happy when I learnt this book belonged to Hunter. I wanted the books to belong solely to the Merrick brothers. But I loved this book. Loved it to the point where I can easily say it's my favourite book in the series so far. *Sorry Gabriel*

I have to warn you guys though. Emotional, pulls at the heart strings and leaves you a blubbering mess is how I finished this book.
Kind of like this, but a lot more scary looking. I do not cry pretty. It's more snotty. *Sorry TMI*

I cried from 0-45% and from 65%-100%. Who knew Hunter would be so strong and yet so fragile at the same time...

I seriously loved this book and when I love a book I can't really explain why. *It's a curse.* 

The plot. Unbelievably Spirit does have an actual plot. New girl Kate and her roommate Silver arrive to town and I have to say whilst I wasn't a huge fan of Kate at the beginning I grow to like her. As for Silver... I know, I know. I technically shouldn't but he made me laugh...

"The problem, Kathryn,is that you assume people won't want to hit that pretty face."

 And when a character makes me laugh...

It's not only Kate and Silver causing Hunter problems. Calla, the fire starter from Spark is back and   more violent then ever. Now stay with me... but for the first time ever I actually understood the bad guy. Whilst I wouldn't go the extremes that she has gone I totally see her point. What gives 'The Guides' the right to kill any breathing Elemental? 

And now the Merricks. Michael... he's my favourite Merrick brother and what a hero! When he made his first appearance in Spirit, he let me breathe again. I was literally in turmoil with Hunter. He had to do it but he couldn't, but he had too... Gosh. He literally saved the day. I cannot wait till Michael's book. Set to be released in July 2014.

This is a book/series for all Young Adult readers. It's real, gritty and the boys actually act like boys. There's swearing, punching, half-truths, witty comebacks and there's growth too. 

10/5 - Best book I've read this year by miles. Oh and I forgot to mention, you WILL need tissues. Lots and lots. . Can't wait for the next one and I have REALLY high hopes for Michael's book.

Pick it up and read it. You won't regret it.

Book Cover and Synopsis via Goodreads. Other images via Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment