Wednesday 29 January 2014

Secret by Brigid Kemmerer #4 Elemental Series


This review is probably going to have some spoilers. I apologies in advance if you don't like spoilers, I will try to keep them to a minimum but it's so frustrating to write a review claiming I loved or hated a book, and not being able to explain which parts made me all crazy.
Title - Secret #4 Elemental Series
Author - Brigid Kemmerer
Genre - Young Adult, Teen, Supernatural, Paranormal, Romance
Source - NetGalley - THANKYOU! 
UK Release Date - 28th Jan 2014
Synopsis - EARTH. FIRE. AIR. WATER.


Nick Merrick is stretched to breaking point. He's trying to keep his grades sky-high or he won't get in to college. He's trying to keep his brother's business afloat or the Merricks will be out on the street. He's trying to keep the secret of where he's going in the evenings from his twin brother Gabriel - or he fears he'll lose his family. And he's trying to keep his mind off the hot, self-assured dancer who is his 'girlfriend's' partner.


And then Quinn takes to hanging around his sworn enemy, and an Elemental Guide is counting the hours until he can try again to kill the Merrick brothers. Storms are brewing. On all sides.


SECRETS IN THE WIND. DANGER IN THE AIR.

Chris took a breath. "I'm sorry you thought you had to keep this a secret."
The words hit with every bit as much impact as Gabriel's had-but these didn't hurt. In fact they seemed to absorb some of the earlier blow. 
Nick didn't know what to say.
"It's okay," Chris added. "I mean-with me. You're my brother, and-I want you to be happy, all right?"
Nick drew in a shaky breath. He was nodding until he realised that was ridiculous and Chris couldn't see him. "All right."
"Seriously. You okay?"
"Yeah."
.....
"Thanks." Nick paused. "Hey. How did you know?"
"I didn't know for sure. But that day in the cafeteria. When Gabriel was giving you shit about the text message." Chris hesitated. "When you left, you were crying."
Damn."Did anybody else see?"
"No one saw. I felt it." Another pause. "It's okay though. I didn't say anything."

*Squeel*

The Elemental Series became a cemented favourite series of mine at book 3, Spirit. I loved the series before then but Spirit really blew me away. So unsurprisingly I had big hopes for Secret.

It didn't disappoint. If anything it felt like a 2-in-1. Not only did we get Nick's story. We got Quinn's too.

Secret starts off leaving me gasping. I think I mentioned in my Spirit book review that I liked Silver. I was a little disappointed to see him go.*Sniffle* I really thought he'd be a major character but I guess not...

In the Breathless novella #3.5 we found out Nick is gay. I think it's pretty safe to say that NOBODY expected that. I don't think there were any hints in the previous books about Nick's sexual preference.

In Secret we're back with Nick. He's unsure, scared, doesn't really have faith in his family... I'm afraid to say that it made me frustrated. But the good kind. We've met all the brothers in the previous books, we know what they're like. So Nick being so afraid to tell his family left me at times wanting to pull my hair out. I couldn't handle it. And then Mrs Kemmerer did her magic I was left blinking back tears and sniffing away. *Quoted up top*

As for Quinn, I'm sorry to say I slightly preferred her story's to Nick's. I don't know if that is technically allowed because it's Nick's book, but I've always liked Quinn's spunk even though at times I didn't really understand where she was coming from. After reading Secret I'm so happy Brigid gave Quinn a more starring role. Tyler feels like the perfect fit for Quinn. Speaking of Tyler, not only does he come to Quinn's rescue but... His powers??? I really didn't see that coming. For some reason I thought the Merrick brother's were the only powerful bad-ass's around.

My absolute favourite part you ask? Micheal getting a hair cut... Weird? I know. Micheal has always been my favourite character but his long hair annoyed me. Apologies to everybody who likes long hair on a guy but I just don't. Plain and simple. I think I wooped out loud when he got a haircut. *Acts as if he's a real person* I'm smiling with glee whilst writing this review knowing that finally he's gotten rid of his girly locks.

Book 5, Sacrifice, is Micheal's book. It's last in the series. *Cries* And with a book titled Sacrifice I have everything crossed hoping that all turns out well. One thing I do know for sure though, keep the tissues close.

Recommend to the young and old.

Image and Synopsis via Goodreads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment