Monday 15 September 2014

Night Broken by Patricia Briggs #8 Mercy Thompson Series

Title- Night Broken #8 Mercy Thompson Series
Author - Patricia Briggs
Genre- Urban, Fantasy, Werewolves, Fae, Vampires, 
Source - eBook, kindle. Own
Synopsis An unexpected phone call heralds a new challenge for Mercy. Her mate Adam’s ex-wife is in trouble, on the run from her new boyfriend. Adam isn’t the kind of man to turn away a person in need—and Mercy knows it. But with Christy holed up in Adam’s house, Mercy can’t shake the feeling that something about the situation isn’t right.

Soon, her suspicions are confirmed when she learns that Christy has the farthest thing from good intentions. She wants Adam back and she’s willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen, including turning Adam’s pack against Mercy.

Mercy isn’t about to step down without a fight, but there’s a more dangerous threat circling. Christy’s ex is more than a bad man—in fact, he may not be human at all. As the bodies start piling up, Mercy must put her personal troubles aside to face a creature with the power to tear her whole world apart.



The Mercy Thompson series was recommended to me by Alexandra; Random Musings and Manic Rambings of a Readaholic. She introduced me to the series years ago and ever since it's been firmly in my Top Five, if not Top Three.

As soon as I read the synopsis for Night Broken I knew this book was going to be epic. Christy was finally making an appearance and I knew that meant lots of drama. I kind of imagined how the story would play out in my head before I actually got the book, but nothing I imagined prepared me for what I felt when Night Broken began.

So much anger and frustration. I didn't understand how a pack of wolves could coddle someone so much... I mean I would understand if the person needed it... But Christy is a cow! That is me being kind. Mercy calls her the Master Manipulator and whilst I and certain members of the pack agree they still let her get away with it. It drove me bonkers.

There is a huge gap in the Mercy Thompson series publishing wise. Normally you can expect a book a year if not every nine months. But with this series it is way over a year that I wouldn't be surprised if readers kind of forget half the back story. This is what Mrs Briggs excells in. Everything, the history, the back story kind of gets explained again, without clogging you down. Gentle reminders that make you remember and it's like the light bulb affect; it clicks.  But for me Coyete finally made sense. In River Marked I didn't quite grasp his importance and now I get it. Clever little guy.

I would recommend this to everybody. This book in particular has made me crave this series again. I want to know what happens next. Even though there was a evil cliff-hanger the ending made me shake my phone thinking it had crashed. I really didn't want the book to end.  This book is the one that makes me think what are the characters up to know. What has Christy decided? Is she going to stay? What about the walking stick? Is Mercy in even more trouble now? Is Gary gonna stick around? What about Joel?

This book even though it had the fire god with dogs in it, felt more like... Contemporary, real world problems. It stills has the supernatural creatures in it but for me the whole ex-wife arrival kind of trumped all that. I loved it but it's different to all the other books in the series because never was Mercy part of a family. Even if that family didn't really appreciate her as much as they should.

Better than top marks. 10/5 Loved it.

Image via Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment